Phichit sits in the lower Northern Region of Thailand. The name “Phichit” means “The Beautiful Town” and the city was allegedly founded by Phraya Khot Thabong in 1056. During the Sukhothai period (1238-1350), the then small town adopted the name “Sa Luang” and became an important town of the era. Phichit was renamed again in the Ayutthaya period (1350-1767) and was known as Okhaburi, which means “town in the swamp”. It was here that King Sanphet VIII or “Phrachao Sua” of Ayutthaya was born. Phichit was designated a province during the Rattanakosin period, in the reign of King Rama V (1868-1910).
The famous legend of Kraithong originated in Phichit. The love story was so powerful that it is still told throughout Thailand today, leading to Phichit’s fame as the land of legends.